Friday, February 16, 2024

cyclic Solo Exhibition

 cyclic Solo Exhibition 

at Palo Alto College Project Space Gallery

on view through March 8, 2024



cyclic brings together painting, collage, textile, and sculptural works created in the last
decade to examine the connection between materials, processes, and themes over
time.

The reuse of materials such as up-cycled paper and vintage bedsheets eludes to
personal histories, passage of time, and rebirth. My work is process-focused and utilizes
repetition and pattern as ritual. This allows for self-soothing while navigating heavy
subject matter. My self portraits document my progress as I move through specific
healing phases. Not only does this record acknowledge the labor of healing work, it
bears witness to my own transformation and enables me to share it with others.

The image of the serpent appears often in my work and symbolizes the healing path.
Healing, like the serpent, is cyclic. It is perpetually growing, shedding, and curving back
around to face reactivated trauma with fresh new skin. Healing is frightening, but
beautiful. And sometimes, if you are patient and brave, healing will swallow you whole.


No comments:

Post a Comment