Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Texas Bindweed

I have been gathering cuttings of vines native to Texas to use in a new series of work. Among my favorites, is Texas bindweed. It's in the morning glory family and produces tiny white blooms with red centers. I found this particular vine thriving in a concrete-asphalt seam.

As I explore my own identity as a Tejana, I am working with this vine to create a few pieces meant to be worn, to adorn. I'm interested in how our bodies are forever linked to the place of our birth as well as our ability to flourish in new and challenging environments. As I work with this plant and learn more about its characteristics, I am also examining my own body: a soft body, a large body, a strong body, a body that's housed another body, a fat body, a powerful body, a body that takes up space, a Tejana body, a body that creates, an aging body, an abused body, a loved body, a sexual body, a body that has survived, a living body, a woman's body.

Texas bindweed 
Convolvulus equitans


Click on the link below to learn more about Texas bindweed



No comments:

Post a Comment